The River Institute
Job Opportunity – The River Institute is seeking an Administrative Finance Clerk
Start Date: Feb 1, 2022 or until a suitable candidate can be found.
Hours: (28 -35 hr per week, negotiable)
Starting salary $ 22.00/hr
Work Location: Main office, 6 St. Lawrence Drive, Cornwall, ON
The River Institute background
The River Institute is non-profit, charitable organization that undertakes research, education, and
community outreach to protect and conserve the St. Lawrence River and other freshwater
ecosystems. We offer a great team environment with an enthusiastic and energetic staff.
The Administration/Finance Clerk is primarily responsible for financial record-keeping to ensure
effective, efficient and accurate organizational operations. As part of the Administration team, the
incumbent supports administration of projects and funds following financial by-laws, policies and
procedures of the River Institute, and maintains financial records in compliance with generally
accepted accounting principles and applicable federal and provincial legislation. The
Administration/Finance Clerk is expected to acquire a general knowledge of the office
administration tasks and practices to provide support and backup for the Administration team as
needs arise. The Administration/Finance Clerk reports to the Program Leader – Administration and
• Process accounts payable/receivables
• Process deferred revenues and prepaid expense
• Process monthly bank reconciliation, and ensure accurate and complete data entry in
QuickBooks online financial accounting software.
• Keep projects budgets up to date and communicate with project leads on expenditures
to ensure accurate records.
• Assist in the preparation of reports for tax payments, government reporting ie HST,
• Prepare documentation for audit and work closely with the auditor, keep updated a list
of projects with links to their respective contractual agreements.
• Assist in reporting and invoicing as required for various programs. Prepare documents for
financial reporting including quarterly financials.
• Prepare and support applications for government funding and forms for payments, ie
service Canada, job zone, reporting forms for government grants.
• Complete annual reporting requirement to the for-government agencies.
• Other duties as assigned
Duties related to Operational Policies and Related Skills
Maintains a high degree of knowledge concerning standard operating policies, including
administration-related policies, Revenues, Expense, Cash, Budgeting, Capital Assets.
Knowledge of office administration and bookkeeping procedures, knowledge of
accounts payable, accounts receivable and maintaining general ledgers,
knowledge of payroll functions.
Team building skills, bookkeeping skills, analytical and problem solving skills
Decision making skills, effective verbal and listening communications skills attention to
detail and high level of accuracy
Reports to: Program Leader, Administration and Fundraising
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter outlining their interest and relevant experience, and their resume to:
Christina Collard, Program Leader Administration and Fundraising
Job posting closes: Jan 18th, 2023