Ferguson Tree Nursery
Ferguson Tree Nursery is looking for 2 Lead hands to work in the Greenhouse Complex who, under the direction of the Section Grower Container and Section Grower Potted stock, will implement a comprehensive pesticide spraying and fertilizing program for all field crops but will also support other bareroot tasks including field work, seeding and transplanting and the greenhouse operations when needed and as time allows.
As part of a team, you will work with others to plan and execute the work required to grow healthy, high quality trees and shrubs in greenhouse plugs, broadcast trays and pots. Once the plan is set, you may find yourself working independently to execute the plan or leading a team to accomplish key tasks.
There is a lot of variety during the growing season, but some key duties will include:
- Seeding of all tree and shrub seedlings either in broadcast trays or jiffies for use on the nursery and for sale, or for potting
- Up-potting of trees and shrubs from bareroot, broadcast trays and jiffies
- Transplanting – greenhouse container stock, pots and liners
- Caring for all potted and greenhouse stock throughout its lifecycle including fertilizing, irrigation, weeding, pruning, thinning, spraying, sorting and all other activities to ensure a quality product that meets required standards
- Inventory management – Accurate counting and mapping of all greenhouse and potted stock including stage of development as directed
- Assisting the Section Growers – Container and Potted Stock with managing the greenhouses and hoop houses, including managing the irrigation system, humidity, and putting on & taking off plastic on hoops
- Packaging of greenhouse products for shipment and delivery
- Fall packing of stock for cold storage
- Customer service – ensuring orders are packed accurately with quality product on time for pick- up or delivery
- Cleaning and proper storage of trays, vehicles, tools and equipment and maintaining a clean and organized work environment that is safe and efficient
Are you up for the challenge?
In order to succeed in this position, you will possess training, knowledge and experience in the relevant tasks mentioned above:
- You are self motivated and can work independently or in a team, you take direction well and ensure your work meets expectations of quality and timeliness;
- As a team leader, you are skilled at providing clear direction, motivating staff to meet production and quality standards, and mentoring to improve performance. Staff supervisory experience is preferred;
- A valid pesticide license or the ability to obtain it would be an asset;
- You have an interest in native species of trees, shrubs and perennials as demonstrated by a degree or diploma in forestry or horticulture or previous work experience. 1-3 years’ experience in a nursery or greenhouse setting is preferred;
- Ability to work full time hours with some variations to schedule due to weather and work load
(early starts due to heat, longer hours during the busy season, time off due to inclement weather)
- Ability to work weekends during spring harvest as well as a flexible work schedule to accommodate either production needs or climatic conditions.
- You are physically capable of doing the duties identified and repeatedly lifting products weighing up to 25kg
- Ability to work in various climatic conditions including rain, heat and cold
- Willing to follow all appropriate laws and nursery policies
- G class license with clean driving record
- Experience operating a fork lift, UTVs and trucks is preferred
What we Offer:
- Ferguson Tree Nursery provides a collaborative, team-oriented work environment with an interesting variety of tasks plus the opportunity to work in a field that is promoting sustainable forestry and contributes to increasing tree planting in Ontario and beyond.
- Ferguson Tree Nursery provides a competitive wage between $19-$21/hour depending on experience.
- In addition, we offer a boot/clothing allowance.
- This position is a 10-month seasonal contract typically from mid-February to mid-December and off in the winter months. Normal work hours are 8am till 6:30pm, 4-days a week. Summer hours are 7am till
5:30pm to reduce staff’s exposure to the heat. Alternative work schedules may be followed depending on production needs, climate or staffing needs. For example, during the busiest season, typically April and early May, some extended hours may be required. Shifts may extend to 5- 6 days a week.
- Full-time, Permanent, Seasonal
- Contract length: 10 months
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday