Ferguson Tree Nursery
Ferguson Tree Nursery is looking for an experienced Spray Technician who, under the direction of the Section Grower Bareroot, will implement a comprehensive pesticide spraying and fertilizing program for all field crops but will also support other bareroot tasks including field work, seeding and transplanting and the greenhouse operations when needed and as time allows.
As part of a team, you will work with others to plan and execute the work required to grow healthy, high quality trees and shrubs. Once the plan is set, you will often be taking your equipment to the fields and working independently to execute the plan. There is a lot of variety during the growing season, but some key duties will include:
- Proper applications of all Pesticides and Fertilizers including mixing according to proper safety procedures and application rates and ensuring detailed documentation is kept
- Calibration of spray equipment
- Day to day maintenance of equipment, reporting any problems to the Building, Equipment and Grounds Maintenance Manager
- Assisting the Equipment Operator in the seeding of all bareroot seedling stock
- Assisting the Equipment Operator in the transplanting of all bareroot stock and greenhouse stock
- Assisting with mechanical weed control of field products using a Tractor and 3 pt. hitch implements
- Assisting with irrigation set up, tear down and watering
- Assisting the Equipment Operator with all spring and fall field lifting operations
- When working with other staff who are assisting in your tasks, provide supervision to ensure staff are safe, understand what they are doing and are able to complete the task
- Operates nursery tractors and equipment as required to safely and effectively complete tasks
- As required, ensure field maps are up to date
- Maintain up to date Chemical and Fertilizing records
Are you up for the challenge’
In order to succeed in this position, you will possess training, knowledge and experience in the relevant tasks mentioned above:
- You are an experienced farm equipment operator particularly using clutch-driven mid-size tractors with 3 point hitch and PTO driven implements
- You have used some of or all the following spray equipment: backpack sprayers, wipers, dobbers, mankar and inter- row sprayers (some training on the sprayers will be provided)
- You have a valid pesticide license (preferred) or the ability to obtain it in a timely manner
- You have demonstrated the ability to safely handle pesticides and fertilizers including accurately and safely mixing and storing and keeping meticulous records
- You are physically capable of doing the duties identified and repeatedly lifting products weighing up to 25kg
- You have the ability to work alone or in a team environment, are self-motivated and can take direction and follow through on executing tasks. When taking the lead on task, you are able to provide clear direction to others and managing tasks efficiently and on schedule
- Ability to work full time hours with some variations to schedule due to weather and work load (early starts due to heat, longer hours during harvesting and shipping, time off due to inclement weather)
- Ability to work weekends during spring harvest as well as a flexible work schedule as a result of either production needs or climatic conditions.
- Ability to work in various climatic conditions including rain, heat and cold
- Willing to follow all appropriate laws and nursery policies
- G class license with clean driving record
What we Offer:
- Ferguson Tree Nursery provides a collaborative, team-oriented work environment with an interesting variety of tasks plus the opportunity to work in a field that is promoting sustainable forestry and contributes to increasing tree planting in Ontario and beyond.
- Ferguson Tree Nursery provides a competitive wage between $22-$25/hour depending on experience.
- In addition, we offer a boot/clothing allowance.
- This position is a 9-month seasonal contract typically from mid-March to mid-December and off in the winter months.
- Normal work hours are 8am till 4:30pm, 6-days a week.
- Summer hours are 7am till 3:30pm to reduce staff’s exposure to the heat.
- Alternative work schedules may be followed depending on production needs, climate or staffing needs. For example, during the busiest season, typically April and early May, some extended hours may be required. Shifts may extend to 10-hour days, 6 days a week.